While skincare is usually about keeping your skin healthy, smooth, and glowing, it’s not only a surface-level matter. The steps to maintain healthy skin are necessary and easy to implement. By taking regular skin care seriously, you invest in skin health. This protects your skin from the harmful impacts of winter and ensures you feel and look your best every season. In beacon dermatology, knowing your skin and taking care of it is essential to skin health.
First, you must consider your skin type. Skin types include oily, dry, or a combination. Your skin may get oilier or drier as the season changes, but it should usually be consistent.
What Should Make Up Your Skincare Routine
The following are the kinds of products you must use if you want to keep your skin clean and healthy:
- Cleanser. You need a cleanser for washing your face. If you have dry skin, use a cleanser that does not contain fragrance or alcohol. If you have oily skin, find an oil-free cleanser.
- Toner. Apply a toner after you wash your face to smooth, calm, and soften it. Usually, a toner has nutrient-replenishing ingredients that your skin can benefit from.
- Moisturizer. You need to use this product whenever you wash your face. For oily skin, opt for oil-free or gel products. By applying a moisturizer on your face, you prevent it from drying out as it can hydrate and smooth your skin.
- Sunscreen. Sunscreen must be applied every day, no matter the weather outside. Choose a sunscreen made to protect the skin against UVA and UVB rays.
- Exfoliant. This product helps get rid of flaky skin as it can increase skin cell turnover. Use an exfoliant after you cleanse your face but before you apply a moisturizer.
- Serum. Serums are made with ingredients such as retinol or antioxidants that can calm redness on the skin and make it firmer.
When to Use Your Skincare Products
Your morning skincare must concentrate on giving your skin protection for the day. Focus your nighttime routine on cleansing and repair. In the morning, you can rinse your face with warm water before you apply moisturizer and sunscreen. At night, you need to wash your face using a cleanser to get rid of makeup and dirt. Then, use a toner, an exfoliant, and a serum.
No matter the time of day, wash your face whenever you work up a sweat. Keep in mind that sweat can clog skin pores and worsen acne. Make sure to remove your makeup before bed and never pick at your skin.