GATE is an upcoming exam for undergraduate students in engineering and postgraduates in arts, science, and commerce. It is mainly conducted for students who aspire to work in Public Sector Undertakings (PSU). As many as 37 PSUs – government organisations, like BARC, IOCL, etc., use GATE qualification as a requirement. It can also provide financial assistance for the candidates who want to pursue postgraduate and doctorate programmes.
IIT Kanpur will be organising the GATE 2023 tentatively by February 2023. The official notification has not been released yet. The GATE Exam is conducted in online mode every year. GATE 2023 will be conducted for 29 papers, including the newly added Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NM) and Geomatics Engineering (GE) papers, which were included for the first time in GATE 2022.
|Exam Name||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)|
|Organising Institute||IIT Kanpur|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Number of Questions||10 (General Aptitude) + 55 (Subject)= 65|
|Exam Mode||CBT (Online)|
|Question Papers Type||MSQ, MCQ, NAT|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|GATE Online Application Processing||August/September 2022|
|Closing of Submission of Application Form||4th week of September 2022|
|Last Date of Extended period for Online Registration Application (With Late Fees)||2nd Week of October 2022|
|Last Date for Requesting a Change of Examination City||3rd week of November 2022|
|Admit Card||1st week of January 2023|
|GATE 2023 Examination||1st and 2nd week of February 2023|
|Announcement of Result||3rd week of March 2023|
The above dates are anticipated on the basis of the previous year’s timetable.
For the registration process, candidates must follow the steps below:
- Open the GOAPS portal and fill in the candidate’s name as per their ID proof
- Then they need to provide a valid email ID and the country of residence of the candidate
- Followed by mobile number and password
Once the registration is done, the candidates need to fill in the following details in the application form to complete the application process:
- Candidates need to provide the address for communication with the PIN code
- Details of the eligibility degree are required to be filled
- College name and address of the institution with PIN code
- GATE paper(s) (subject)
- Choice(s) of GATE examination cities
- A high-quality image of the candidate’s photograph
- Good quality image of candidate’s signature
- Scanned copy of valid photo identity document (ID), which you MUST carry to the examination hall
- Scanned copy of category (SC / ST) certificate in pdf format to be uploaded (if applicable)
- Scanned copy of PwD certificate in pdf format (if applicable)
- Scanned copy of the dyslexic certificate in pdf format (if applicable)
- Fee payment can be made through net-banking/debit card/credit card/e-wallet details
To complete the application process, one must pay the GATE application fee before the closing date. If someone fails to pay the fee before the deadline, then they will be charged a late fine along with the application fee.
The GATE 2023 exam fee for each subject is given in the table below:
|For Examination Centres in India||Regular Period||During Extended Period|
|Female Candidates (per paper)||₹ 750||₹ 1250|
|SC / ST / PwD* Category Candidates (per paper)||₹ 750||₹ 1250|
|All Other Candidates (per paper)||₹ 1500||₹ 2000|
Note that the above dates and information are based on the GATE 2022 notification. IIT Kanpur will release the official GATE 2023 notification tentatively by September 2022.